Skip to main content

The veggie patch or veggie restaurant





Lettuce and carrots trimmed
Lettuce and parsley trimmed - they left the parsley stalks, thyme and chives!

Chard nibbled - not the white bits though

Jerusalem artichokes as they should look

Same bunch of artichokes with a stem lower than the rest

Kale

Kohl Rabi
 I haven't been in the veggie patch for a few days, gite cleaning and other life stuff so after a down pour of rain this evening I went for a soggy wonder. It's looking a bit sad and seems to of turned into a rabbit restaurant, a place where they can nibble in the evening, dead of night, early morning or anytime really when I am not there.  I even think they have invited their buck teethed neighbours for a nibble over a green leaf for when you walk up our drives, along the road, around the hanger and gites or look over in the fields rabbits of all sizes are everywhere, even in our garden- so much for having two hunting dogs.

There does seem to be repetition to their eating habits in that they don't like the stem part of the green leaves, even when the plants are in containers their not safe, I can just see those rabbits laying on their backs feet crossed parsley in their teeth. They have even nibbled the french marigolds I planted which I read would deter them as they don't like the smell.

Beetroots untouched
Butternut squash hiding but uneaten
Courgettes not a tooth mark in them
Really hot Chinese chili plant I'd like to see them eat those red ones!
Having nibbled most veg there are a few they don't seem to like onions, runner beans (although they have had a taste) tomatoes (they did nibble through the first lot of plants I planted, beetroot, parsnip leaves, leeks and courgettes. Now as the rabbits have eaten well they may be quiet tasty perhaps a rabbit farm would work, failing that a courgette farm.

They are cute though!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snap shot

A moment from the week at La Singlarie Another steer went off on Wednesday. After spending 3 years with them it doesn't get any easier when they leave.

Weeding

Potatoes A sad looking patch Hunting for carrots The weather has now gone from one extreme to the other from rain, rain and a bit more rain to hot, sunny and hotter. Time to access the veggie patch after I planted everything in one hit and then it got very damp and soggy. Well the potatoes are growing well, although they are going to be a lot later this year, kind of Earlie's for late ones and late ones maybe ready for Christmas dinner ( if they survive the bugs, rabbits and moles). The weeds have and still are growing really well, this morning was spent finding the carrots and parsnips, which I have with no help from Sorrel, who after a quick sniff lazed under the shade of the apple tree (which by the looks of it hasn't got hardly any apples on it?) The poor herb seeds sowed don't look to good or the french and runner beans, think a hungry mouse have nibbled on them so I will have to resow (once I have weeded -again)

A problematic Ewe

While Master C and Miss F were here over the weekend we took the opportunity for their help in moving the two ewes, Gorgon and Thumberlina to the field where the donkeys had been. What with all the rain we have had lately the grass grow super quick. The only problem was Miss Fatty did not want to move from her safe field (if only she knew she was moving to new lush grass). It took farmer J and Master C to try moving her after pushing from me and Master C had failed and she fell to the floor not moving an inch. There try also failed so they were both lead through the field in another direction. Of course once in the new field there was no looking back. Gorgon on the other hand was a breeze to move, as long as you have food he will follow, you just need to make sure you have enough food!